Most fires in the home start accidentally, so it is important that you know how to reduce the chance of a fire starting in your home.
If a fire breaks out in your home, get out, stay out and call 999.
Most fires in the home can be prevented by taking some simple precautions:
- Make sure you have smoke alarms on at least every level of your home
- Test your smoke alarms regularly
- Stub cigarettes out properly and dispose of them carefully
- Plan your escape route and make sure everyone knows how to get out in a fire
- Take extra care in the kitchen – never leave cooking unattended
- Do not overload electrical sockets and watch out for faulty and over-heating electrical equipment and wiring/cables