Carbon monoxide

Carbon monoxide (CO) is known as the ‘silent killer’ as it is colourless and odourless. It can come from faulty appliances powered by any fuel that burns. These include gas, solid fuel and oil fuels. CO alarms detect the presence of this poisonous gas.

Carbon monoxide alarms are fitted to all Legal and General Affordable Homes’ properties where there are fuel burning (gas, oil or wood) appliances. You should also take the following precautions:

  • Never use a gas appliance if you think it is not working correctly. Look out for signs that include yellow or orange flames, soot or staining around the appliance and pilot lights that frequently blow out
  • Never cover up a gas appliance
  • Never block or obstruct any internal or externally fixed ventilation grille or airbrick
  • Never block or cover any internal or externally fitted flue from a gas appliance
  • Never allow an unqualified gas fitter or person to install or carry out works on your gas appliances, or attempt the work yourself. All qualified Gas fitters are registered with Gas Safe and must present an up to date Gas Safe identification card