Worried about domestic abuse?

We are proud to have received accreditation from the Domestic Abuse Housing Alliance (DAHA) for our commitment to tackling domestic abuse and promoting equality.

Image of accreditation logo           

If you or someone you know is in immediate danger, please call 999.

What is domestic abuse?

Domestic abuse is defined as 'any incident or pattern of incidents of controlling, coercive, threatening behaviour violence or abuse between those aged 16 or over who are, or have been, intimate partners or family members regardless of gender or sexual orientation. The abuse can encompass, but is not limited to: Psychological and Emotional, Physical, Sexual, Financial and Economic, Stalking and Harassment, Online or Digital, Elder Abuse, Adolescent to Parent, Honour based violence and Forced Marriage.'

Controlling behaviour is a range of acts designed to make a person subordinate and/or dependent by isolating them from sources of support, exploiting their resources and capacities for personal gain, depriving them of the means needed for independence, resistance and escape, and regulating their everyday behaviour.

Coercive behaviour is an act or a pattern of acts of assault, threats, humiliation and intimidation or other abuse that is used to harm, punish, or frighten a person.”

Anyone can be affected by domestic abuse, people in all types of relationships and backgrounds.

Domestic abuse impacts all members of the household including children.

How can we help if you are experiencing domestic abuse?

If you speak to a Stonewater team member, they will be able to support you confidentially. They can support you by referring you to specialist domestic abuse services who can minimise the risks to you and your family, explain your rights and offer professional, safe support. Stonewater staff can also speak with you about your property and your housing needs if you are experiencing domestic abuse.

With your consent, Stonewater staff can look at ensuring your home is safe and secure for your family and put you in touch with specialist agencies that can help you take any legal action that is needed.

We will use an independent, confidential translation service when needed.

How can you report domestic abuse?

In a non-emergency situation, you can attend a police station to report an incident. Many have designated domestic abuse units, and specialist trained officers that can give advice such as on how to get a police marker on an address, so an officer can get there as soon as possible.

For further information, please look at the UK Police Service Portal.